VA-PAVIR Summer Research Program
For Undergraduate Students
Application deadline: March 1st, 2024 (11:59pm PDT)
Internship dates: 6/24/24 - 8/16/24
The VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) and the Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) are pleased to announce the inaugural VA-PAVIR Summer Research Program for Undergraduate Students. This eight-week summer research program is designed to stimulate and expand research interests in undergraduate students considering a career in research. The program offers students unique opportunities to gain hands-on experience under the guidance of a faculty mentor and to learn practical vocational skills through weekly didactic sessions. At the end of the training program, each student is expected to be well-versed on their research topic, to be able to present their research findings succinctly to their peers, and to feel more technically prepared for their next stage of research training or career. A stipend of $2,000 will be provided to each student to assist with their travel, housing, or meals. All US citizens or permanent residents who are currently enrolled in a US college or university (rising sophomore, junior, or senior) are eligible to apply. Applications from females and underrepresented minorities are highly encouraged.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (PDF format, limit to 3 pages)
- Transcript (unofficial or official)
- Letters of reference, two letters from science professors or research advisors (written on institutional letterhead)
- Please describe your research experiences and interests.
- What are your career goals? How can the summer research program help you achieve them?
- What would you like to change about our world, and how might you do it through science?
- How do you contribute to diversity/inclusion to this summer research program?
(Optional) Review the profiles for this year's program mentors. You will have the ability to optionally indicate which mentor you would like to work with in the application.
Congratulations to all the talented students who have successfully completed our 2023 Summer Research Program!
At VA Palo Alto, two internship programs are shaping the future of health care research and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Read VA Palo Alto's full story here: Empowering the next generation through VA Palo Alto’s internship initiative
Front (L-R) Xiaorong (Aileen) Guo (Tufts), Vasuda Dokiparthi (Penn State), Sarah Bates (UC Berkeley)Back (L-R) Kobe Ly (UC Santa Cruz), Samantha Hamilton (UC Los Angeles), Ashwini Chandrakanth (U of Portland)
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org