The Flow Cytometers and Cell Sorters are available to VA Investigator laboratory personnel and their affiliates who have VA funding, been cleared by the WOC process, or who have checked in with the police and obtained a temporary badge and escort. Users sign up for time on a calendar available through gmail. In order to gain access to the calendar, new users must contact Dr. Corey Cain. Prior to independent use of the instrumentation, extensive training on the software and procedures for proper start up/sorting/shut down must be scheduled with Corey and usually requires up to three or more training sessions.
Cost to use core facilities:
For the remainder of this fiscal year, there is no direct cost or hourly usage rate to individual users or labs. The facility is supported in its entirety by the VA and PAVIR except for the cost of supplies which is split among the laboratories proportional to their usage, which averages out to $2-3/hr. Because of this, VA lab researchers are the sole users unless approved on a case by case basis through PAVIR.
New Users Information:
Please complete the following items to obtain access to the VA Flow Cytometry Core and start using the flow cytometers:
- Obtain WOC clearance and verify your lab has VA funding.
- Complete the VA Flow Cytometry Core Registration Sheet
- Read the Rules and Regulations of the VA Flow Cytometry Core, sign, and return the sheet the Corey Cain via email (email@example.com) or in person to the VA Flow Cytometry Core located in Building 101 Room B4-115.
- Send Corey a Gmail address so that you can be added to the scheduling calendar.
- Complete BD Flow Cytometry E-Course and self evaluation tests (approx. 1.5-2hrs)
- Familiarize yourself with the SOPs for the start-up and shut down procedures of the Flow Cytometers and Cell Sorters.
- Schedule a 2-3 hour training session with Corey to get orientated on the LSR or Aria II and III sorters, trainings are limited to 3 people at one time. Book a 2.5 hour block on the gmail calendar and contact Corey to verify schedule. Please note that cytometers can be booked solid for at least 2 weeks during prime time hours. Plan accordingly!
- For independent users, proficiency must be demonstrated before usage will be granted. Users should plan to schedule 3-4 additional assisted sorts to get certified by Corey before they will be allowed to use the flow cytometers after normal business hours, weekends and holidays.