Social Sciences Research Coordinator I
|Date Posted||June 18, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ETK1701.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Social Sciences Research Coordinator (RC) position to work with the Principal Investigator (PI) and other collaborators to conduct studies.
The Etkin Lab, located at Stanford and the Palo Alto VA, takes multiple, integrated approaches to understanding the neurobiology of mental illnesses and their treatment, and translating these findings into novel interventions. This position will importantly advance the lab’s goals of understanding and manipulating human brain circuits through non-invasive brain stimulation.
Work includes basic affective neuroscience experiments in humans to understand emotional and cognitive regulation and brain imaging studies of clinical populations (e.g. depression, PTSD, etc), as well as interventions for these conditions (e.g. medications, psychotherapy). Work in both healthy and clinical populations is ongoing using non-invasive brain stimulation methods (such as transcranial magnetic stimulation; TMS) with brain imaging to understand brain circuit mechanisms of behavior, their dysfunction in psychiatric patients, and their modifiability as a form of treatment.
The RC will work independently, but will coordinate with the team on data collection, sample processing, record collection, cleaning and coding data, preparing data for analysis, conducting initial analyses, and writing reports and manuscripts. The RC will also organize research assistants to help with these research tasks. The RC will also assist with everyday laboratory and office duties to ensure the research runs smoothly. This position requires high levels of initiative and sound judgement, as well as communication and understanding of detailed compliance requirements.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
– Subject testing:
- Run behavioral, EEG, fMRI, and rTMS tasks;
- Screening, recruiting, and obtaining consent of study participants. Perform telephone or in-person interviews to gather data, as needed. Schedule and/or call subjects for appointments.
- Prepare, distribute, administer and process questionnaires and tests, score test measurements and questionnaires, and code data for computer entry. Perform quantitative review of forms, tests, and other measurements for completeness and accuracy.
- Track patient progression in study to schedule follow up tests. Provide phone follow up to subjects
– Research Data
- Apply formulas and calculations to research data using basic statistical programs. Review and verify accuracy of database information and assist in making necessary corrections according to specific guidelines.
- Type, edit and organize data. Prepare data for input into statistical databases.
– Contribute to team meetings and update/coordinate with other staff and fellows;
– Prepare correspondence, documents and reports. Process study compensation payments and thank you letters to subjects upon completion of trial activities. Assist with post-study activities, as needed.
– Other research duties as necessary.
Education: Successful completion of college level classes in Psychology or neuroscience. A four-year college degree in Psychology, Neuroscience, Anthropology, or in a related field desired.
- Two years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
- General understanding of scientific theory and methods.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply the study protocol;
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with human study participants, including patients with mental health challenges.
- May be required to work non-standard, extended or weekend hours in support of research work.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting, bending, standing, repetitive motion, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to imaging equipment and office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- LTD / STD
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits