Scientific Laboratory Manager / Research Associate II
|Date Posted||August 22, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||RAN1710.17|
|Salary Range||$59,000 – 73,000|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Scientific Laboratory Manager / Research Associate II position in the Rando laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University.
This position will function as the Lab Manager for the Rando research laboratory whose primary focus is stem cell biology, cell and tissue aging, and degenerative diseases. Duties will include managing lab compliance, overseeing mouse colonies, assisting the PI, Dr. Thomas Rando, with grant submissions and progress reports, and working with lab members to facilitate their research. The Lab Manager will fill a key role in orchestrating the operations of this high performing laboratory and will be vital in supporting the research activities of senior investigators and postdocs, while being exposed to world class basic science.
This is a regular, full time, exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved WOC appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Manage laboratory and oversee large animal colony; manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, chemical and radiation safety issues and research administration requirements
- Training and supervision of laboratory assistants and students
- Assist in the writing and preparing of grant progress reports
- Assist researchers with ongoing research projects, including handling live animals (mice) as well as tissue and cells from those animals; maintaining accurate laboratory notes reflecting data acquired
Required: Master’s degree in biology or a related discipline
Desired: Ph.D. in a related discipline
Required: Relevant experience as a lab manager with prior experience with bench research, including the use of live animals
Desired: Experience supervising research staff desired; experience with writing animal protocols desired
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Must have strong desire to support the research operations and progress of a fast-paced lab
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory safety procedures as required by the VA Research and Safety regulations
- Understanding and working knowledge of research lab requirements is desirable
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently as the lab manager but also to work as part of the lab team
- Experience with tissue culture techniques
- Effective communication skills orally and in writing
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology
- Excellent interpersonal skills to assist other research staff
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, sitting for long periods of time, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits