Pre-Award Contract & Grant Administrator II
|Date Posted||October 11, 2016|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ADM1703.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Pre-Award Contract & Grant Administrator position to work under the guidance of the assigned Manager to manage proposal preparation on sponsor projects, primarily for National Institutes for Health, DOD, and foundation grants. The Administrator II will provide detailed, high quality pre-award, assistance and will directly work with PIs throughout the proposal process. The Administrator II is expected to work independently, as well as a member of an inter-locking administrative core team.
All duties must be conducted in compliance with PAVIR’s values, utilizing continuous improvements in processes, policies, and procedures to nurture an environment which fosters service to our customers and administrative excellence.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non-exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Identify and interpret sponsor requirements and incorporate with understanding of VA and PAVIR policies;
- Hold PI kick-off meetings and establish and manage timeline;
- Independently develop budgets for proposal submissions;
- Develop administrative sections of proposal submissions;
- Develop and provide advice for grantsmanship and budget development;
- Review draft submissions indicating necessary corrections for Manager review;
- Collate final submission for final quality control by Manager prior to final submission;
- Implement internal compliance requirements, including VA compliance;
- Contact Subawardees to gather sub-proposal information;
- Complete data input and file maintenance;
- Communicate status updates and work flow needs intra- and inter-departmentally.
Monitor proposals once submitted through the course of review until final disposition is available:
- Review, understand and be able to communicate sponsor’s review processes;
- Respond timely to sponsor pre-award requests (i.e. “Just in Time” information);
- Ensure PI has initiated appropriate human/animal subject protocols for IRB/IACUC approval;
- Ensure proposals adhere to applicable federal, state, and local regulations and policies;
- Perform hand-off with Manager to Post-Award.
Maintain internal pre-award processes, including accurate qualitative and financial data input and data maintenance, participate in department activities and process improvement activities as appropriate. Contribute and help maintain Standard Operating Procedures for department and position.
Contribute to process improvement and standards development activities. Participate in team planning, including post-award colleagues and other core administration team members.
Maintain internal pre-award processes, including:
- Review pre-award files (paper and electronic);
- Complete grant checklists for each application;
- Update and maintain RDIS database (e.g. initiate Minis, update unfunded proposal information, update records to full-draft mode as applicable);
- Monitor project approval status to ensure on-time approval.
- EDUCATION: B.A./B.S. degree (or equivalent experience); B.A./B.S. degree (or equivalent experience) in business, accounting, or Research Administration desired;
- LICENSE / CERTIFICATION: Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification desired;
- EXPERIENCE: 1 year related work experience; 6+ months of related experience in a research environment desired;
- Experience submitting proposals to diverse external funding sources;
- Ability to work with both detailed and broad guidance, seeking out answers using available resources;
- Ability to analyze complex and/or ambiguous situations, identify workable solutions and their potential outcomes;
- Ability to effectively balance customer service with regulatory compliance;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as a member of teams;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with commitment to excellence in customer service and performance;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and know when to ask for help when prioritizing in a deadline-driven environment;
- Must be proactive and flexible and must have good judgment and decision-making skills;
- Ability to work with spreadsheet and database software in financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports;
- Strong initiative in resolving problems and developing and implementing solutions in an independent manner;
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and collegially in a team environment;
- Demonstrated experience in sponsored project related compliance including knowledge of federal regulations such as Uniform Guidance and NIH grants policy statement desired;
- Advanced skills in MS Excel, MS Word, and Adobe Acrobat desired;
- Experience in lean management or other applied process improvement activities desired.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
- Physical: N/A
- Environmental: Office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability
- Short-term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit