Scientific Laboratory Manager / Life Sciences Research Associate II
|Date Posted||July 30, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||RAN1710.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Scientific Laboratory Manager / Life Sciences Research Associate position in the Rando laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University.
This position will function as the Lab Manager for a research laboratory whose primary focus is stem cell biology, cell and tissue aging, and degenerative diseases. Duties will range from managing lab compliance and supervising selected junior lab members to performing experiments with cell culture. The Lab Manager will fill a key role in orchestrating the operations of this high performing laboratory and will be vital in supporting the research activities of senior investigators and postdocs, while being exposed to world class basic science.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved WOC appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform experiments
- Assist in the writing and preparing of grant applications
- Assisting with the management of research protocol as it pertains to lab animals
- Handle live animals (mice) as well as tissue and cells from those animals
- Write papers on projects for publication
- Manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, chemical and radiation safety issues and research administration requirements
- Participate in general laboratory maintenance
- Maintain accurate laboratory notes reflecting data acquired
- Training and supervision of laboratory assistants and students
Required: Master’s degree in biology or a related discipline;
Desired: Ph.D. in a related discipline.
Required: at least 3 years of prior applicable experience in bench research
Desired: one year of experience supervising research staff desired; 3 years of experience working with mice and rats, and writing protocols desired.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Must have strong desire to support the research operations and progress of a fast pace lab;
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory safety procedures as required by the VA Research and Safety regulations;
- Understanding and working knowledge of research lab requirements is desirable;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently as the lab manager and also to work as part of the lab team;
- Experience with tissue culture techniques;
- Effective communication skills orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to assist other research staff.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, sitting for long periods of time, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits