Life Sciences Research Associate I
|Date Posted||June 26, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ZAB1801.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate who will assist the Principal Investigator (PI), Brian Zabel, Ph.D. and associated lab staff with in vitro molecular and cell biology procedures and in vivo rodent procedures to achieve our research goals. The overall goal of the lab’s research is to explore mechanisms of cancer immunotherapy and autoimmune disease.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform sterile tissue culture of numerous cell and hybridoma lines; Generate, test, and maintain transfected cell lines;
- Perform in vitro cell-based assays (b-arrestin assays, transwell chemotaxis assays);
- Perform and optimize animal procedures such as tail vein injection and immunizations;
- Monitor and check on research animals;
- Manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, biosafety, safety issues, and research administration;
- Check lab supplies on an ongoing basis and order as needed;
- Assist with training and orientation of new students;
- Design and execute studies evaluating chemerin in cancer and autoimmune disease;
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with other lab staff and with the PI to ensure project design, prioritization and coordination;
- Produce monoclonal antibodies and mammalian proteins in various preparations;
- Carry out large scale culture of specialized cell lines for use in antibody preparation and in isolation of receptors;
- Assist with molecular biology techniques (i.e. PCR genotyping);
- Contribute to manuscript and grant preparation.
Required: BS degree in Biology, Chemistry, or in a related field
Desired: MS degree in Biology, Chemistry, or in a related field
Required: Two years of related experience in a wet lab setting
Desired: Two or more years of related experience in a wet lab setting
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ ABILITIES:
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment;
- Knowledge of immunology, principles of cell culture, and molecular biology;
- Previous experience working with research animals, especially rodents;
- Strong knowledge of research procedures or protocol gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic and analysis to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments independently;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 10 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, radiation, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit