Life Sciences Research Associate I
|Date Posted||August 12, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||RAN1809.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate who will design, implement, and lead basic and applied research, development and scientific research projects independently and in collaboration with the Principal Investigator (PI) and other research staff.
This position holds responsibility to participate in the development of areas of investigation toward improved methodologies and innovative therapies in rehabilitative and regenerative medicine by combining state-of-the-art stem cell therapeutics with advances in material science. These investigations will generally involve the development of new techniques and identification of worthy methodologies for practical solutions for routine clinical use.
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved WOC appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform advanced biological techniques and procedures using live animals (mice) and animal tissue
- and cells;
- Collaborate with the P.I. on the design and execution of laboratory experiments; Serve as the main
- contact for experiments;
- Develop and validate experimental protocols;
- Analyze data from experiments;
- Prepare charts for presentations and publication;
- Write papers on projects for publication;
- Perform general lab organization and oversee and train lab technicians.
Required: PhD degree in biology, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline;
Required: At least three years of prior research experience in biology, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline;
Desired: Three years of experience working with mice, rats, and writing protocols.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
- Exquisite record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong scientific writing skills and demonstrated capacity to drive first author publications;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Solid training in general lab skills such as micro-pipeting, PCR analysis, genomic and plasmid DNA preparation, protein measurements, and tissue homogenization;
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel and other programs for data calculation and analysis;
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Standing or bending for long periods of time, lifting 5 lbs, repetitive movements
Environmental: Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit