Life Sciences Research Associate I-II
|Date Posted||May 10, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||RAN1707.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate position in the Rando laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University, to perform experiments of basic and applied biomedical research under the supervision of the Principal Investigator Thomas Rando, M.D., Ph.D., and other Senior research staff.
The Research Associate will investigate fundamental questions in stem cell biology and the biology of aging. This position will assist in the development of therapeutic strategies to be used to intervene tissue aging or age-related diseases.
The studies involve using genetically modified animal models, next generation sequencing and cutting-edge microscopy technologies to investigate the dynamic changes of chromatin during stem cell and tissue maintenance, and to develop therapeutic intervention of tissue aging and age-related diseases or conditions. The successful candidate should be a self-motivated individual with experience in molecular and cell biology.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform advanced biological techniques and procedures using live animals (mice) and animal tissue and cells;
- Develop, validate and execute new experimental protocols;
- Analyze data from experiments; prepare data for presentations and publication;
- Perform general lab organization. Train and offer guidance to lab technicians.
Required: Master’s degree (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience) in biology or a related discipline;
Desired: Ph.D. in biology or a related discipline.
Required: 3 years of prior research experience (including graduate research) in biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology or a related field;
Desired: one year or more of experience working with mice; FACS experience a plus.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
- Exquisite record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Solid training in general sterile techniques;
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel and other programs for data calculation and analysis;
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Experience in general techniques/methods in molecular biology and cell biology and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Standing or bending for long periods of time, lifting 10 lbs, repetitive movements, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits