Life Sciences Research Associate I
|Date Posted||November 6, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||LIU1801.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate position in the Liu laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University, which performs experiments of basic and applied biomedical research under the supervision of the Principal Investigator- Jingwen Liu, Ph.D.
The Research Associate will investigate fundamental fundamental questions in plasma and hepatic lipid metabolism mediated by the enzyme family members of long-chain acyl-CoA synthetase (ACSL) under normal physiological state and in disease conditions of NASH and NAFLD. The studies involve using cutting-edge proteomic, lipidomic, transcriptomic, as well as microscopy technologies in combination with genetically modified animal models.
The successful candidate should be a self-motivated individual with broad experience in molecular and cell biology.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform proteomic, lipidomic and transcriptomic analysis in liver cells and in animal models to study the function of ACSL enzyme family and the regulations of their expressions at transcriptional and posttranscriptional levels by nuclear receptors and signal transduction pathways
- Develop new genetic models to study ACSL family members in hepatic lipid metabolism and their roles in NAFLD/NASH and cardiovascular disease
- Participate in general laboratory maintenance
- Maintain detailed experimentation records in notebook and in computer files
- Contribute to and participate in manuscript preparation and conference presentations.
Required: Ph.D. in biology or a related scientific discipline
- Prior working experience in molecular cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, qRT-PCR, gene array, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, cell culture studies
- Prior experience in fluorescent cell imaging
- Prior working experience with animals
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Knowledge of molecular and cellular biology, as well as research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience
- Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel
- Able to present results in a laboratory meeting and at scientific conferences
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Standing, sitting or bending for long periods of time, lifting 25 lbs., repetitive movements, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits