Life Sciences Research Assistant I / II
|Date Posted||January 31, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||REL1701.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Assistant position to support the molecular investigation of human-associated microbiota in health and disease. These investigations include both sequence-based analysis of complex microbial communities and transcriptional profiling. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non-exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
Data collection and data maintenance:
- Log samples into a sample bank, curate the sample bank, and organize batches of frozen samples for processing in the laboratory;
- Maintain and update a spreadsheet and/or input data into a database of sample IDs and associated clinical information;
- Extract nucleic acids from human clinical samples;
- Perform high-throughput PCR and prepare samples for next-generation sequencing;
- Prepare media and reagents and assist other laboratory personnel as needed;
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and spreadsheets;
- Prepare progress reports and summaries;
Clinical Trials, Human Subjects:
- Serve as a back-up study coordinator, supporting the recruitment and enrollment of study subjects, as needed;
- Assisting with the scheduling of follow up visits for human subjects;
Other duties as assigned.
- EDUCATION: B.S. degree (or equivalent experience) in biological sciences;
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one to two years of related experience; Two to three years of related experience desired;
- Knowledge of lab safety procedures;
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Experience with human subjects is a plus;
- Able to evaluate the technical results of experiments; able to identify and solve problems when they occur;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral);
- Able to learn new techniques from written protocols;
- Organized and detail orientated;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Knowledge of microbial/molecular biology;
- Experience with nucleic acid extraction, amplification, quantitation, and other manipulations, including agarose gel electrophoresis. Experience preparing nucleic acids for next-generation sequencing is a plus;
- Experience with R programming and the Unix environment preferred but not required.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
- Physical: Sitting in front of a computer or laboratory bench for long periods of time, repetitive movement, etc.
- Environmental: Primarily laboratory and clinical environment. More than 50% of time potential exposure to blood borne pathogens. Less than 50% of time exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability
- Short-term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit