Life Sciences Research Assistant I / II
|Date Posted||September 12, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||NIM1801.19|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Assistant position in the Nicolls laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University, to support investigations that study pathophysiology causes and develop treatments for two vascular diseases: Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and Lymphedema.
The Research Assistant will participate in general wet lab activities, animal husbandry, and high throughput sequencing of genes and proteins under the supervision of the Principal Investigator – Mark Nicolls, M.D., Ph.D., and Project Director. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology and cellular biology. Ideally, the Research Assistant will have experience with animal studies.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Assist with design and perform experiments investigating the mechanisms of LTB4 and its effect in pulmonary arterial hypertension and lymphedema under the direction of the PI and Research Director;
- Document findings of experiments and troubleshoot as needed;
- Assist with data analyses and communicate results to other lab staff;
- Perform rat and mouse experiments, such as treatments and surgeries;
- Maintain rat and mouse colonies including breeding, weaning, and PCR genotyping;
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of cell culture lines;
- Analyze cells and tissue using molecular and cell biology assays (i.e. PCR, Western blot, IF staining, flow cytometry, ELISA, etc.);
- Perform other wet lab and animal husbandry related duties as required.
Required: Bachelor degree in biological or biomedical sciences (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Required: Applicable bench lab experience;
- Desired: 1-2 years of related work experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Previous laboratory experience with animal experimentation highly desired;
- Previous experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques;
- Understanding of animal physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and some mathematical skills;
- Ability to analyze scientific data and problem solve experiments;
- Good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good organizational skills;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel;
- Previous experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to web lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits