Life Sciences Research Assistant I
|Date Posted||June 26, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||HUN1802.18|
The Research Assistant position will support on-going research projects in a wet laboratory setting under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI). The Research Assistant will perform small animal surgeries and analysis using histology. In addition, the research assistant will be responsible for detailed compliance tracking, as well as safety protocols.
This is a regular (40 hours a week), non-exempt (hourly paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Conducts rodent surgeries and breeding under supervision of PI;
- Sections tissues, performs histology, and immunohistochemistry analysis;
- Orders reagents for the lab and maintains appropriate working environment
- Maintains compliance to safety regulations (i.e. self-inspections, chemical inventories);
- Manages required safety protocols for animals, biohazards, and stem cells under the overall direction of the PI;
- Communicates and participates in team work with other lab staff to ensure coordination in sample processing.
- Required: BS/BA (or equivalent experience) in a health-related field, Biology or Biochemistry;
- Required: 0 – 1 years of animal handling experience;
- Desired: One year of related experience in a research environment;
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Understanding of basic molecular biology and stem cell biology;
- Previous experience working with research animals;
- Ability to perform surgery on rats and mice as needed;
- Dexterity and hand coordination to perform rodent survival surgeries;
- Some knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Ability to develop skills in rodent surgeries (i.e. muscle injury models);
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology and data analysis skills;
- Strong reasoning skills in order to troubleshoot experiments;
- Ability to grasp concepts in scientific papers for key methods or findings to support research;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Ability to multi-task several projects at the same time;
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 10 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for minorities, women, protected Veterans, and qualified individuals with a disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- LTD / STD
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits