Life Sciences Laboratory Assistant I-II
|Date Posted||June 22, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||RAN1706.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Laboratory Assistant position in the Rando laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University, to support bioengineering investigations aimed to develop novel tissue engineering strategies to regenerate injured tissues, with a focus on skeletal muscle. The Lab Assistant will participate in general wet lab activities under the supervision of the Principal Investigator – Thomas Rando, M.D., Ph.D., and other research staff.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology and cellular biology. Ideally, the Lab Assistant candidate will have experience with fluorescence-activated cell sorting and in animal studies.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Assist with basic techniques in molecular biology, biochemistry, histology, cell culture, microscopy, flow cytometry, tissue engineering;
- Assist in working with live animals, including surgery, behavioral studies, physiology, live imaging;
- Assist in working with mammalian cell culturing, including human cells;
- Help maintain common solutions and reagents;
- Help to maintain equipment and general lab organization.
Required: Bachelor degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students) in biological or biomedical sciences (or equivalent combination of education, experience and training)
Required: 1 year or more of related experience in a research laboratory
Desired: 1-2 years of experience in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, cell culture, ideally working experience with rodents
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment preferred;
- General knowledge of research procedures or protocol gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic and analysis to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits