Life Sciences Lab Manager
|Date Posted||June 12, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||TOR1801.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Lab Manager for Dr. Natalie Torok’s laboratory who will oversee the work in the lab, supervise laboratory technicians and maintain compliance with all regulatory committees.
The lab manager is also expected to perform experiments, help and teach junior lab members and participate in writing manuscripts.
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours/week), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved WOC appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Manage laboratory and oversee large animal colony;
- Manage lab safety compliance with regulations regarding health, chemical and biosafety issues and research administration requirements;
- Assist researchers with ongoing research projects, including handling live animals (mice) as well as tissue and cells from those animals, maintaining accurate laboratory notes reflecting data acquired.
- Training and supervision of laboratory assistants and students;
- Assist in the writing and preparing of grant progress reports;
- General lab organization and maintenance, including placing orders and keeping records;
- Overseeing lab jobs for routine procedures;
- Maintaining laboratory compliance with regard to biosafety, chemical safety and handling safety inspections;
- Maintaining a mouse colony in keeping with the standards of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC);
- Tracking expenditures related to specific projects and grants;
- Organization of lab and computer work space and freezer/refrigerator when necessary.
- Assist with training and orientation of new students and technicians;
- Regular communication with lab staff to ensure coordination in supply ordering and receiving;
- Assisting, as needed, with experiments of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows;
- Mouse colony breeding and genotyping;
- Maintain accurate laboratory notes reflecting data acquired;
- General lab work, including isolating primary cells, culturing of cell lines, immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, PCR techniques, Chip assays.
Required: Master’s degree in biology or a related discipline;
Desired: M.D/Ph.D. in a related field.
Required: Relevant experience as a lab manager with prior experience with bench research, including the use of live animals;
Desired: Experience supervising research staff desired; experience with writing animal protocols.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Must have strong desire to support the research operations and progress of a fast pace lab
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory safety procedures as required by the VA Research and Safety regulations;
- Understanding and working knowledge of research lab requirements is desirable;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently as the lab manager but also to work as part of the lab team
- Experience with tissue culture techniques;
- Effective communication skills orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of scientific research methodology;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to assist other research staff.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit