Life Sciences Lab Assistant I/II
|Date Posted||July 22, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||RAN1808.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Lab Assistant who will participate in general wet lab activities in the lab under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, Thomas Rando, M.D., Ph.D.
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved WOC appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Assist with basic techniques in molecular biology, biochemistry, histology, cell culture, microscopy;
- Assist in working with live animals, including surgery;
- Assist in working with mammalian cell culturing;
- Help maintain common solutions and reagents;
- Help to maintain equipment and general lab organization.
Required: Bachelor degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students) in biological or biomedical sciences (or equivalent combination of education, experience and training).
Desired: One year of experience in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, cell culture;
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Previous experience or exposure to wet lab academic research environment preferred;
- General knowledge of research procedures or protocol gained through education and/or experience;
- Ability to comply with proper research laboratory safety procedures and protocols;
- Good interpersonal skills in working with PIs, researchers, and other lab staff;
- Ability to use logic and analysis to identify the pros and cons of an experimental process;
- Ability to read directions and follow procedures;
- Excellent organizational skills.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting (up to) 20 lbs. occasionally, sitting and standing for long periods of time, bending, repetitive motion, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit