Film and Video Editor I/II
|Date Posted||April 25, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||20|
|PAVIR Job ID||PEV1701.17|
|Salary Range||$22-30 per hour DOE|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Film and Video Editor position to work with the Principal Investigator, Dr. VJ Periyakoil, to create film vignettes, animations, graphics, and online videos for medical education modules targeted towards Stanford medical students, trainees, lay health advisers, and the medical community at large for educational websites and various other documentary productions. The Film and Video Editor will use existing footage and capture new footage, as well as create clips to be used in the iSAGE program.
This is a regular, part-time (20 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Work schedule can be flexible and will be discussed during interview.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Film and Video Processing:
- Receive briefing or outline of footage, script, or screen play
- Capture HDV/DV mini tapes of educational lectures, patient acting, etc.
- Video edit; use DVD authoring tools and Final Cut Pro on Mac
- Integrate multi-camera/multi-subject approach to include audio syncing with different camera views to develop video vignettes
- Execute independent judgment in assembling and editing video footage to ensure visual cohesiveness
- Create “rough cut” of project utilize editing suite for sound clean up, color correction
- Add subtitling of formatted video clips as needed
- Produce DVD of “rough edit” for PI and library
- Create finalize version of video vignettes for online streaming
- Compress and encode educational material in various multimedia environments for web, DVD, television, etc.
- Maintain video library and log
- Interact with other team members regarding design, specifications and bugs
- Create animation video clips and graphics.
- Camera Skills and Film Production:
- Work with the PI and the film production crew to make technical and creative decisions regarding lighting, shooting angles, audio requirement, use of movement;
- Serves as technical director to ensure proper production of creative ideas;
- Judge correct angles, background, and determine wide/medium/close-up shots;
- Create streaming video from video and digital sources (e.g., QuickTime, RealAudio, Shockwave);
- Develop necessary video content for the projects, using up-to-date methods and authoring tools.
- Effectively communicate with other team members regarding video production, specifications, and bugs;
- Turn the objectives of clients and colleagues into viable film products;
- Advise during staff meetings with creative input in brainstorming, pre-production, and post-production sessions.
- Video Optimization, Editing Testing, and User Help/Support:
- Test video formats and clips for functionality, usability, accuracy, and compliance with IRT/SCORM viewing standards;
- Create various video formats (DVD, CDs, etc.) for intended audience and platform;
- Help troubleshoot and resolve user problems with videos or film products.
- Required: Bachelor degree (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience) in broadcast production, TV/Film/Video, post-production or a related discipline
- Desired: Master’s degree in broadcast production, TV/Film/Video, post-production or a related discipline.
- Required: 1 year experience using Final Cut Pro or other video editing programs used to develop video vignettes
- Desired: 2+ years of related experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Knowledge or familiarity with Flash, AfterEffects or motion graphics, and Encore DVD;
- Experience creating animation video clips;
- Experience in developing and publishing websites in work environment;
- Extensive knowledge and experience creating and editing audio & video in a creative fashion;
- Advanced knowledge with audio sweetening, color correction, and DVD authoring skills;
- Experience in creating streaming video from video and digital sources (e.g., QuickTime, RealAudio, Shockwave);
- Ability to maintain high quality control with export and compression settings;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment, while also able to work independently, under minimal supervision;
- Effective time management skills, including ability to develop/follow timelines and complete multiple projects;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills both with clients and internal staff.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
- Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, sitting, bending, standing, repetitive motion, etc.
- Environmental: Exposure to video and recording equipment, office environment and office equipment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Sick leave pay
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program