FACS Core Director
|Date Posted||August 9, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ADM1810.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a FACS Core Director who will oversee a flow cytometry core under minimal supervision, supporting the projects of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System(VAPAHCS) researchers. FACS Core Director will create and maintain effective user group to reflect and anticipate user needs, and provide expert advice to ensure quality data. The Director is responsible for adequate user training.
The Director shall perform the functions of this position in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and in fulfillment of PAVIR’s values and performance improvement standards to support VA research while optimizing efficient and value-added service to the researcher community.
The Director will serve as a leader of the scientific initiatives associated with the flow cytometry core and will work collaboratively with principal investigators, research lab staff and PAVIR staff. Communication and integrity are essential talents for this role which relies on teamwork, cooperation and initiative.
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours a week), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Provide training, guidance, and assistance to new and existing users regarding protocols, assay design, and instrument operation.
- Advise on optimal use of equipment to endure high quality data output.
- Provide expertise to users on multi-parameter flow cytometry for various cell phenotype and multi-parameter data analysis.
- Set up framework for initial analysis and support researchers in analysis of data, as well as advise on follow up experiments.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and operate multiple flow cytometry analyzers and cell sorters on regular schedules to maximize equipment function.
- Consults with vendor technicians to address equipment issues.
- Ensures adequate supplies and equipment maintenance records.
- Create and maintain user group to assess current needs and to predict and support emerging needs.
- Stay abreast of developments that could augment or change VAPAHCS need and use of FACS core.
- Read technical journals or manuals and attends vendor seminars to learn about new hardware and add on equipment.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues and management in order to enhance the technical capabilities of the laboratory.
- Oversee service requirements of all instrumentation to ensure minimal downtime of instrumentation.
- Required: Master’s degree in relevant biophysical or biological sciences discipline;
- Desired: Ph.D. in biophysical or biological science discipline.
- Required: 5-8 years of hands-on research experience in flow cytometry assays with human and mouse blood, cells, and tissue;
- Desired: Theoretical knowledge of Immunology, Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, General Chemistry or Genetics and a combination of education and lab experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Proficiency in flow cytometry acquisition and analysis (FlowJo) software;
- Experience with operation of Becton Dickinson analyzers and cell sorters;
- Familiarity with a broad range of flow cytometry assays;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and consult with users;
- Demonstrated ability to stay current in job knowledge and technology;
- Theoretical knowledge of Immunology, Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, General Chemistry or Genetics and a combination of education and lab experience;
- Effective communication skills and a willingness to share information. A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality, exhibiting high levels of professionalism and respect for confidentiality;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to establish credibility and effective partnerships in a lab environment that interacts with a diverse group of research and technical personnel and other laboratories;
- Must have ability to handle more than one task at a time and must work at a rapid pace while maintaining attention to detail;
- Possible researcher collaborations and publications.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
- Lifting 50 lbs. occasionally, walking, reaching, standing, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, etc.;
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to focus.
Environmental: Exposure to a wet lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents, and radiation.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit