Economics Research Assistant I/II
|Date Posted||January 4, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||CHD1801A.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking an Economics Research Assistant who will assist in research activities, including data management, analysis, and preparation of research findings for publication under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI), David Chan, M.D, Ph.D.
This is a regular, full-time (40 hours a week), non – exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Assist in designing and interpreting analyses, including researching new data sources and methodology
- Write computer code to maintain data and implement analyses
- Maintain accurate documentation of work
- Clean data, identify problems with data or coding, and resolve technical problems
- Assist in preparation for research manuscripts and project reports and generate tables and graphs for publications
- Monitor datasets and statistical deliverables for quality assurance
- Collaborate with research team and other experts in the field regarding ongoing analyses of the project
- Required: BA/BS degree (or equivalent experience) in quantitative field (e.g., computer science, mathematics, economics)
- Desired: MA/MS degree (or equivalent experience) in quantitative field (e.g., computer science, mathematics, economics) or enrollment or completion of quantitative PhD
License / Certification:
- Required: Minimum 1 year related experience in research data analysis or high level of expertise in at least one statistical programming language (SAS, STATA, R)
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Formal training in economic and statistical theory and empirical methods
- Familiarity with variety of methods of causal inference, such as panel methods, instrumental variables, regression discontinuity highly preferred
- Strong academic foundation and demonstration of quantitative skills
- High level of expertise in at least one statistical programming language (SAS, STATA, R)
- Familiarity with SAS, STATA, R, SQL, and/or UNIX operating systems
- Knowledge and interest of research in health care settings preferred
- Ability to transfer scientific knowledge to practical applications
- Technical and analytical skills
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong and effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to comply with rules and regulations for clinical research
- Ability to work independently and be a team player
- Efficient time-management and prioritization skills
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for minorities, women, protected Veterans, and qualified individuals with a disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit