Director of Human Resources
|Date Posted||June 25, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ADM1807.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Human Resources Director who is the senior HR leader responsible for guiding and overseeing the overall provision of Human Resources services, policies and programs for PAVIR. Reporting to the CEO, the HR Director is a member of the senior management team and partners with Grants and Contracts administration, Finance and Data Integrity to fulfill PAVIR’s mission of advancing veteran and public health through innovative research. The HR Director promotes and implements human resource values by planning and managing human resources policies, programs and directing staff while enhancing PAVIR’s tradition of collaboration, mutual support and good citizenship.
The HR Director, in accordance with the policies and procedures of PAVIR, as well as local, state, and federal law, manages: programs to recruit, motivate, develop and retain approximately 250 employees; affirmative action/diversity programs; compensation, including the development and administration of a comprehensive employee health and welfare benefits package; performance management and improvement systems; records management; safety and health; succession planning; employee relations; EEO compliance; customer service strategies; and process improvement initiatives.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
Strategic Planning and Leadership:
- Serve as a member of the senior management team.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, evaluate and improve the organization’s human resource function and performance.
- Ensure that HR services are delivered and customer needs are met while fully utilizing and maximizing resources. Report to management and provide decision support through HR metrics. Guide management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing and updating policies, procedures, methods and guidelines; communicate and enforce PAVIR’s values.
- HR services include: human resource policies and processes; organizational structure and development; health and welfare benefits programs; compensation structures; senior management compensation; employee recruitment and retention; affirmative action planning; performance management and organization feedback; training and professional development; employee communications, including the HR Section of PAVIR websites; employee relations and compliance; vendor relations / management; and human resource information system and reporting functions.
- The HR Director is accountable for partnering with other senior management in cross-departmental coordination of HR information and for contributing to PAVIR’s goals of data-driven management.
- Direct and implement PAVIR’s participation in LEAN initiatives recognize people, foster an environment for improvement and create value for our customers.
- Fill-in as needed to perform HR staff functions.
- Lead/manage HR staff (an HR generalist and a recruiter (employment, recruiting and on-boarding)) workload and priorities, assuring adequate productivity and quality of work; motivate employees to achieve department objectives; provide performance feedback and development opportunities to employees to enhance skills or accomplish tasks; direct, monitor and evaluate the work of employees, intervening to correct performance problems.
- Develop goals and objectives for the PAVIR HR department.
- Develop, implement and maintain a plan to meet HR’s IT systems and database needs.
- The HR Director is expected to be a coach for process improvement in the HR department and as a member of the senior management team.
- Update job knowledge by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhance HR’s and PAVIR’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Organization/ People Management:
- Communicate HR issues as needed: Keep CEO informed on all HR related issues with potential institutional risk;
- Liaise with Stanford, VAPAHCS, and / or attorneys on employee visas, postdoctoral fellow appointments, and other HR related issues, ensuring appropriate documentation and compliance as appropriate;
- Coach supervisors and employees in best practices for effective HR to achieve PAVIR and VA research and education objectives as needed.
- Maintain financial and other metrics for all mandatory HR institutional reporting and management information reporting.
- Manage the budget and other financial measures of the Human Resources Department.
- Complete all mandated state / federal reporting related to HR and the implementation of policies / practices related to applicable laws and regulations.
- Review, update and write policies and user guidelines to set and clarify expected behaviors and use of PAVIR HR.
Required: A Bachelor’s degree
Desired: A Master’s degree
LICENSE / CERTIFICATION:
Desired: SPHR, PHR, SHRM – SCP, or SHRM – CP
8-10 years Human Resources experience with proven results as an HR manager or other HR executive in a company of similar or larger size, in which the candidate has demonstrated operational leadership of all key Human Resource functions. Relevant and up-to-date knowledge of all functional areas of HR. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies and procedures. Ability to balance task oriented attention to detail with over-arching institutional strategic intent. Ability to multi-task in a deadline‐driven environment. Direct working knowledge of major HR functions, including recruitment, compensation and benefits, organizational development, process improvement, HR information systems, employee relations and relevant laws and regulations.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
Leadership/Cooperation/Initiative:Creative, team player with ideas to initiate and implement. Results driven and willing to take chances and learn from failure. Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team, and to communicate information, set priorities, meet deadlines, and solve administrative problems in a professional, creative and innovative manner. High level of independence and initiative while working effectively as part of the senior management team, advancing the organizational goals and values. Ability to motivate and influence individuals and teams.
Planning and Organization: Excellent process improvement and project management skills, including organization, planning and implementation skills. Demonstrated track record of setting and meeting goals. Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, with management oversight, and in adherence to applicable compliance related rules and regulations. Strong process orientation with an ability to set priorities, analyze and resolve problems, and make decisions in a timely fashion. Dedication to excellence and quality work performance.
Interpersonal Skills/Communications: Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills. People oriented and results driven. Ability to keep information confidential. A business partner and team player with strong communications skills who is able to establish credibility throughout the organization in order to be an effective listener and problem solver of people issues. Customer service focus with an ability to interact congenially and effectively with a diversity of people.
Organization/People Management: Demonstrated experience attracting, managing, developing, evaluating and retaining staff. Ability to lead, influence and motivate individuals and teams. Skilled in holding people accountable and developing their abilities to do their jobs. An individual with high ethical standards and good judgment.
Computer Skills: Proficient with computer applications such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to manipulate data to develop and maintain information.
Other: In-depth knowledge of labor law and HR best practices. Able to deal with confidential issues in a professional manner. Demonstrated ability to stay current in job knowledge and technology.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Frequently sit for long periods of time to perform desk based computer tasks and meet with employees. Occasionally lift / carry / push / pull objects that weigh up to 10 lbs.
Environmental: Standard office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- LTD / STD
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits