Post-Award Manager (Grant Administration)
|Date Posted||October 30, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ADM1902.19|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Post-Award Manager to oversee a team of six post-award specialists performing post-award activities for a large volume and diverse set of complex federal and non-federal sponsored research projects, involving multiple sub-awards, Principal Investigators, and cross-organization activities. The Post-Award Manager will stay current and train staff on sponsors’ requirements and applicable regulations. The Post-Award Manager is responsible for maintaining appropriate training levels of the Contract and Grant (C&G) team members, monitoring their work, and ensuring there is timely and high-quality workflow within the team. This position will report to the Associate Director of Research Administration.
Functions of this position shall be performed in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and in fulfillment of PAVIR’s values and performance improvement standards to support VA research while optimizing efficient and value-added service to the researcher community along all other functional PAVIR support lines.
The hiring manager encourages job applicants to submit a cover letter when they apply for this position.
Why Join Our Team? PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Hospital in Palo Alto, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), exempt position.
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
Manage, train, and supervise Post-Award C&G staff, including staff workload and priorities, assuring adequate productivity and quality of work:
- Function as first line problem solver, motivate employees to achieve department and individual objectives, actively identify and collaborate to develop training tools and programs for staff, and provide performance feedback and development opportunities to employees to enhance skills or accomplish tasks.
- Direct, delegate, monitor, and evaluate the work of employees, intervening to correct performance problems.
- Educate and monitor staff for high levels of understanding of workflow and data integrity needs across departmental and institutional boundaries.
- Determine and communicate appropriate compliance needs and manage appropriate compliance on Post-Award C&G activities.
- Address barriers and support staff in all tasks including:
- Budgets, expenditure statements, projections, and account balances.
- Contracts and subawards, including subrecipient monitoring.
- Effort management and certification;
- Timely reports (financial and technical) submission to sponsors;
- C&G data in RDIS as well as financial management and qualitative data in Accounting Software;
- Account closeout;
- Data integrity;
- Management of activities concerned with amendments to or extensions of contracts and grants.
- Interpretation of contracts, grants, accounts and records.
Manage a portfolio of complex grants and contracts. Provide short-term backup coverage as needed.
Identify problems and capabilities related to PAVIR’s C&G’s infrastructure and systems to contribute to and to maintain PAVIR’s continuous process improvement culture:
- Manage and contribute to teams and workgroups to develop and implement solutions for improved operating procedures, improved processing methods, communications, information and work flow, operational efficiency, and goal deployment.
- Develop and maintain reports on C&G operations to measure current active research portfolio, estimate current and future workload, and adequate compliance with internal and external policies and procedures.
- Communicate institutional C&G policy needs; and motivate and hold staff responsible for contributing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures for department.
- Review, update and write policies and user guidelines as assigned to set and clarify expected processes and behaviors.
Serve as subject matter expert Post-Award research administration:
- Interpret complex regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
- Resolve extremely complex issues escalated from team members and determine if further review is necessary by senior management.
Required: Bachelor’s degree.
Desired: Master’s degree.
Required: At least 5 years of relevant professional experience managing contracts and grants, with specific emphasis in grants administration; 2+ years of experience supervising subordinate staff, preferably in a nonprofit.
Desired: At least 3 years of relevant professional experience with specific knowledge of NIH and DOD grants management processes and policies.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
Leadership/Cooperation/Initiative: Demonstrated ability to work as a productive manager and team member. Ability to lead and implement organizational change and process improvements.
Planning and Organization: Demonstrated track record of setting and meeting goals. Strong project leadership, process improvement, decision making, organization, planning, and implementation skills. Ability to set priorities, analyze and resolve problems, and make decisions in a timely fashion.
Organization / People Management: Demonstrated experience managing, motivating, developing, evaluating, and retaining staff. Ability to lead, influence and motivate in teams, including cross-functional workgroups and teams.
Analytical Skills: Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills plus organization skills with experience interpreting goals and objectives into an operational model as well as being well versed in using accounting software tools to maximize institution’s effectiveness.
Interpersonal Skills / Communications: An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information. A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to present complex financial information to non-financial audiences. Ability to establish credibility and effective partnerships with all major departments of the organization. Demonstrated teamwork experience and interpersonal skills;
Computer / Information Technology Skills: Highly proficient with computer applications incl. MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Other: Able to deal with confidential issues in a professional manner. Ability to stay current in job knowledge and technology.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Sitting for extended periods of time, repetitive movement/typing, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to an office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with generous Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits