Clinical Research Coordinator I
|Date Posted||August 7, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||SIT1801.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Coordinator who will assist and coordinate studies investigating the feasibility of twice weekly hemodialysis in patients with residual kidney function compared to thrice weekly hemodialysis.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non – exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
Recruit hemodialysis patients for a research study:
- Visit patients in hemodialysis units;
- Administer symptom questionnaires and cognitive function tests;
- Obtain and explain consent from patients for participation in research.
Coordinate study on a day-to-day basis:
- Coordinate hemodialysis prescriptions with primary nephrologists;
- Coordinate schedules with members of the research team;
- Handle study correspondence.
- Assist with other study-related duties as needed.
Monitor study participants weekly:
- Drive to visit patients at their dialysis units weekly; 2 to 4 visits per week to the dialysis unit to monitor patients.
- Record symptoms and dialysis clinical data in the computer database.
Maintain study records:
- Accurately enter test scores and laboratory results in a computer database.
Collect research samples:
- Collect blood, urine, and waste dialysate samples at the dialysis units and transport them to the research laboratory at VA Palo Alto.
Required: B.S. or B.A. degree (or equivalent experience) in Human Biology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or a related field.
License / Certification:
Required: Valid CA Driver License.
Required: 12 months of research – related experience, including subject recruitment and consenting patients.
Desired: 18 months of related experience; experience with subjects on dialysis.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Previous experience with subject recruitment in a research environment;
- Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate dialysis schedules (i.e. potential to work some weekend days and some early mornings to visit patients and collect samples).
- Experience with subjects on dialysis would be very valuable;
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field gained through education or experience;
- Ability to understand and follow VA regulations and procedures regarding research;
- Research experience in questionnaire and cognitive function test administration, and research sample collection and handling highly desired;
- Knowledge of medical terms and abbreviations relevant to obtaining medical history is desired;
- Reliability and demonstrated organizational ability;
- Accurate record keeping and attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Basic math skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to15lbs occasionally, sitting, and standing for long periods of time, bending, repetitive motion, etc. Will encounter patients who are on hemodialysis and have chronic medical problems. Must be able to collect research samples and transport back to the research lab at VA Palo Alto.
Environmental: Exposure to clinical environment. Some exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits