Clinical Research Assistant I/II
|Date Posted||July 5, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||FIN1702.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Clinical Research Assistant position in the Finlay lab, which is part of the Center for Innovation to Implementation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System and Stanford University.
The Research Assistant will conduct subject recruitment, consenting, interview data collection, and analysis. The research project focuses on studying patients with opioid use disorders who are involved in the criminal justice system and VA, criminal justice, and community staff members who work with these patients. The work will entail close collaboration with a research team comprised of researchers and counselors engaged in working with largely underserved populations. This position will be an integral contributor to accelerate patient recruitment, as well as other project related tasks.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Screen, recruit, and enroll study subjects; Explain the study procedures to subjects. Obtain informed consent; Answer any study-related questions from the study subjects; Schedule interviews and conduct interviews; Reschedule interviews as needed.
- Maintain subject record data and binders per direction; Assist with the monitoring of regulatory aspects of the project.
- Code and analyze qualitative data under supervision.
- Assist with the preparation of tables and figures for reports and manuscripts; Assist with the creation of presentation materials and present materials as needed at conferences and seminars.
- Other research support tasks as assigned.
Required: BA/BS degree (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience) in social science or in a related field
Required: One year of related experience; at least six months of experience working in a professional team environment;
Desired: One year or more of research experience. Prior experience screening, recruiting, enrolling, and consenting study subjects.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Interest in and aptitude for subject recruitment in a research environment;
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field gained through education or experience;
- Ability to understand VA regulations and procedures regarding research;
- Familiarity and/or interest in clinical research;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Good interpersonal skills in order to interact with study subjects;
- Ability to read and understand the study protocol;
- Previous experience in data collection;
- Ability to comply with technical guidelines;
- Good time-management and prioritization skills;
- Ability to complete directed tasks independently;
- Assertiveness and creativity in the identification and resolution of barriers to progress.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Frequently stand / walk, sit to perform desk based computer tasks and meet with study subjects. Occasionally lift / carry / push / pull objects that weigh up to 10 lbs.
Environmental: Exposure to an office/clinical environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits