Clinical Research Assistant I/II
|Date Posted||November 8, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||30|
|PAVIR Job ID||CAS1802.18|
|Salary Range||$19.00-$20.00 per hour, DOE|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Clinical Research Assistant to support a multi-center study on Minority Health and Health Disparities, funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The study aims to develop and validate a practical and highly accurate screen to identify those at high risk for mental health problems following sudden serious illnesses or injuries. Additionally, the study aims to ensure that the screen performs well for those in ethnic/racial minority groups.
The Research Assistant’s duties include recruiting, screening and consenting study subjects, administering assessments, assisting with data management and analysis, assisting with preparation of conference presentation materials and manuscripts, and other duties associated with the study under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI), Dr. Eve B. Carlson, and a Project Manager.
This is a regular (30 hours a week), non-exempt (hourly paid) position, which is likely to be supplemented by an additional 10 hours a week offered through Stanford University. The Research Assistant will have health benefits, 401(k), paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick time), and other benefits through PAVIR..
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Responsible for recruitment of study subjects and data collection at the Stanford site
- Answer any study-related questions from the study subjects
- Track enrollment
- Call study subjects to remind and/or administer follow-up assessments
- Participate in and attend meetings with staff from all sites on study procedures and progress
- Coordinate with hospital staff to collect data from participants and manage data collected
- Maintain data in project databases
- Prepare administrative reports for human subjects approval
- Assist with preparation of conference presentation materials and manuscripts
- Conduct basic data analysis under supervision
- Other research support tasks as assigned
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in psychology, social sciences, health sciences or in a related field
- Required: Prior clinical research experience that includes recruitment in a clinical setting or comparable experience
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to interact with study subjects; effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to read, understand and follow the study protocol and compliance rules
- Interest in and aptitude for subject recruitment in a research environment
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the research field gained through education or experience
- Ability to understand and adhere to VA regulations and procedures regarding research
- Familiarity and/or interest in clinical research
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Basic math and data analysis skills, preferably using a statistical software package (e.g., SPSS)
- Previous experience in follow-up data collection desired
- Good time-management and prioritization skills
- Ability to complete directed tasks independently
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Occasionally lifting up to 20 lbs., frequently sitting and standing for long periods of time to perform desk-based computer tasks and meet with study subjects, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to an office/clinical environment and office equipment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for minorities, women, protected Veterans, and qualified individuals with a disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits