Clinical Research Assistant I
|Date Posted||September 24, 2018|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||ZEJ1801.18|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Assistant who will conduct research associated with examination of the physiology and function of the human circadian timing system and sleep.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non – exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Ability to work overnight shifts (2-3 per week);
- Screen, recruit, and meet with study subjects;
- Explain the study procedures to study subjects;
- Obtain informed consent;
- Answer any study-related questions from the study subjects;
- Provide phone follow-up to subjects;
- Assist with administering computer-based and written cognitive tests;
- Collect data via in-person interviews;
- Set-up and maintain physiologic recording equipment;
- Assist with implementing clinical research studies with an understanding of the protocol;
- Coordinate with PI’s wet lab and Clinical Studies Unit for collection and storage of saliva samples;
- Check data for completeness and follow-up;
- Aid PI in data collection and analysis;
- Assist with the collection of biological samples (urine, saliva);
- Aid PI in maintaining records and research compliance.
Required: B.A./B.S. degree (or equivalent experience) in biology, health sciences or related field;
Desired: B.A./B.S. degree (or equivalent experience) in biological or psychological sciences
Required: 0 – 1 years of related experience; previous experience in a research environment.
Desired: 1 – 2 years of related experience;
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate circadian timing system and sleep schedules (i.e. potential to work weekends and overnights to visit patients and collect samples in the lab).
- Good interpersonal skills in order to interact with study subjects;
- Solid analytical skills;
- Basic math skills;
- Good time-management and prioritization skills;
- Accurate record keeping and attention to detail;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Ability to understand scientific literature, experimental procedures and their limitations, and current needs of the research community.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Lifting up to 20 lbs occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to clinical environment. Some exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits