Life Sciences Research Associate I
|Date Posted||August 1, 2017|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|PAVIR Job ID||LIU1701.17|
The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Life Sciences Research Associate position in the Liu laboratory, part of the VA Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University, which performs experiments of basic and applied biomedical research under the supervision of the Principal Investigator- Jingwen Liu, Ph.D.
The Research Associate will investigate fundamental questions in plasma and hepatic lipid metabolism mediated by the enzyme family members of long-chain acyl-CoA synthetase (ACSL) under normal physiological state and in disease conditions of NASH and NAFLD.
The studies involve using cutting-edge proteomic, lipidomic, transcriptomic, as well as microscopy technologies in combination with genetically modified animal models.
The successful candidate should be a self-motivated individual with broad experience in molecular and cell biology.
This is a regular, full time (40 hours/week), exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Perform protein structure analysis on human long chain acyl-CoA synthetase isoform 4 (ACSL4) to identify critical domains and amino acid residues that play important roles in ACSL4 protein stability regulation by ubiquitin-proteasomal pathway in liver cells
- Utilize proteomic approach and immunoprecipitation to identify and characterize cellular proteins that interact with ACSL4 to modulate ACSL4 functions in hepatic lipid metabolisms under normal physiological conditions and in NAFLD
- Establish new genetic models to study ACSL family members in hepatic lipid metabolism
- Participate in general laboratory maintenance
- Maintain detailed experimentation records in notebook and in computer files
- Conduct manuscript preparation and conference presentations
Required: Master’s degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in biology or a related discipline
Desired: Ph.D. in biology or a related discipline
- Prior working experience in molecular cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, qRT-PCR, gene array, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, cell culture studies
- Prior experience in fluorescent cell imaging
- Prior working experience with animals
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Knowledge of molecular and cellular biology, as well as research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience
- Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel
- Able to present results in a laboratory meeting and at scientific conferences
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Standing or bending for long periods of time, lifting 5 lbs, repetitive movements, etc.
Environmental: Exposure to radiation, research animals, wet lab environment, and toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Short-term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- Sick Leave
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits